Shipbuilding is probably one of the oldest industries of Dubrovnik.
The author quotes particulars from various preserved shipbuilding contracts from the first half of the 14th century.
During this time about 15 large ships were built, about 40 ships of medium tonnage, and about 15 ships of small tonnage.
Very great activity was recorded in two periods: from 1319 to 1322, and from 1352 to 1355.
In the second half of the century, when Dubrovnik acquired its independence under the patronage of the Kingdom of Hungary, the shipbuilding industry made great progress; with the greatest activity in three periods: from 1365 to 1366, from 1371 to 1373, and from 1381 to 1383.
In 1390 the municipality introduced credit facilities for shipbuilding, particularly for large ships.
Most ships were built in Dubrovnik or at the neighbouring yards.
In the first half of the century the ships were built by both native and foreign labour, but in the second half nearly all ships were built by native labour, some of them of large tonnage.
Then the author describes the process of shipbuilding and the duration of particular stages.
The data for some large ships built during the century are given in the form of tables.